College visits are an important part of planning a student's future beyond Marian High School. Before visiting a college campus, the student must notify the Attendance Office of the planned absence at least 24 hours in advance of the date of absence.
Frequent or Prolonged Illness
If a student is absent for five consecutive days due to illness (including concussion) or has contracted a contagious disease, a physician's statement may be required in order for the student to return to school. In such cases, when the student is ready to return, a meeting will be set with the student, parent(s), counselor, teachers, and an administrator, to discuss the successful reintegration of the student to Marian.
Planned Extended Absence
- personal illness
- funerals for death in the immediate family or for persons outside the immediate family with parental permission
- medical and legal appointments - such appointments should be scheduled after school hours when possible
- school-sponsored field trips and retreats
- school/college visits for Juniors and Seniors
- no parent/guardian contact with the school giving an explanation for the absence on the day of the absence
- no physician's note to excuse an absence once more than five days of absence have occurred
- absences other than those defined as excused