Visual and Performing Arts
MARIAN FINE ARTS DEPARTMENT
Marian students are blessed with the opportunity to develop their creative talents in our incredible Fine Arts Department. In this department, students are provided with many opportunities to develop their skill in both the Visual and Performing Arts.
VISUAL ARTS PROGRAM
Marian offers an extensive range of art classes, from drawing and sculpture to photography and digital design, including several Advanced Placement courses for college credit. Students in these classes regularly place in regional and national competitions, including the National Scholastic Art Awards in New York City.
The faculty in our Fine Arts department are second to none!
Under the direction of Mrs. Gina Bonewitz, Marian art students earned 20 Gold Keys, 18 Silver Keys, and 47 Honorable Mentions! Gold Key winners go on the compete at the national level.
2019 Award Highlights
- Apisara Sunantra won an American Voice Award with $100 stipend for her print titled "Throw Back '90s."
- Kelly Skwarcan won the Northern Indiana Pastel Society Award with $100 stipend for her drawing titled "Into the Woods."
- Rue Desmarais was recognized for the Silver Key on his Portfolio and was given a $1,000 scholarship.
- Mrs. Gina Bonewitz was given recognition for Excellence in Teaching.
- Mrs. Kitty Gunty won the Ann Hamilton Award for Inspired Teaching.
- Noah Majewski '21 won a Silver Award at the national level for his photograph titled "My Fast Childhood."
PERFORMING ARTS PROGRAM
The Performing Arts Program at Marian is a rich blend of courses and after-school activities to provide options for our students to find the right mix of academic and enrichment experiences.
Three types of performing arts are offered: Choir, Theater and Instrumental Music. The choir is a vibrant group of talented vocalists gathered into an award-winning ensemble, and the Liturgical Choir is a club that provides music for our All School Masses. We offer layered theater coursework for the serious thespian. Marian produces a school play twice per year and a talent show each spring, all to rave reviews from the community. Instrumental Music classes offered include Drumline and Applied Music. A pep band club and drumline club provide students with an opportunity to show school spirit and support the athletic teams using their musical gifts.
The talent within our Marian student body never ceases to amaze us!
RECENT PRODUCTIONS AT MARIAN INCLUDE:
Musicals: The Drowsy Chaperone; Into the Woods; Anything Goes; Bye, Bye Birdie; The Sound of Music; Godspell
Plays: You Can't Take it With You, The Diviner's, A Christmas Carol, Arsenic and Old Lace